Ways to Prioritise Wellbeing
Is your wellbeing a top priority for 2023? If so, remind yourself about out these top tips to turn New Years Resolutions into reality.
1. Create and implement a healthy eating plan. We all know the fundamentals - eat less processed foods, less sugar, less salt, less red meat and eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. Drink more water. Drink less alcohol, caffeinated and sugary drinks.
If you find that easier said than done - try changing your buying habits. We find if it's not in the pantry or fridge you can't be tempted to eat it! Make a shopping list and stick to it. Most people with skin issues will have certain foods that are triggers to flareups - common ones to avoid are dairy products, nuts and eggs. A food diary can help identify your triggers and help you avoid them.
2. Get enough sleep. Most people need 7 - 8 hours sleep. A sleep routine can help. This includes going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time. Avoiding screens for 1-2 hours before bed. Eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. Using blackout curtains so your bedroom is dark.
3. Get enough exercise. Walking is great - it doesn't cost a lot and is low impact on joints so won't aggravate inflammation. If you are swimming make sure you apply a barrier cream to protect your skin from salt water and any pool chemicals.
4. Minimise and manage your stress. Healthy eating, sleeping and exercise will all help - and many find meditation, taking time to 'be', and practicing gratitude reduce stress.
5. Look after your skin. Again, all the above will help improve and maintain good skin health. For those with skin conditions (like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, dermatitis), dry, sun damaged or aging sensitive skin extra care is needed. Choose quality, natural products to clean, hydrate and heal.